(CNSNews.com) – As of Wednesday, August 4, a total 349 children ages 0-17 have died of COVID since the pandemic began in January 2020, based on death certificates submitted so far to the CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics.
In that same time period, CDC counts a total of 606,389 COVID-involved deaths in the United States. So children account for 0.057 percent of all COVID-involved deaths, or those coded to ICD–10 code U07.1.
CDC does not disclose what, if any, underlying conditions those 349 children may have had.
Since January 2020, the CDC has recorded 51,892 deaths from all causes in children 0-17, which means the 349 COVID-involved deaths equals 0.67 percent of the deaths in children from all causes.
The chart below shows the CDC’s latest numbers. (CDC notes that death certificates are submitted on a lagging basis, so the numbers are sure to rise somewhat.)
The CDC offers a weekly summary of COVID-19 deaths, noting that in 90 percent of the total 606,389 deaths recorded through August 4, COVID-19 was listed as the “underlying” cause of death. COVID was listed as a “contributing” cause of death in the other 10 percent.
CDC also breaks down total COVID-involved deaths by three broad age groups, as follows: 79.2 percent (480,143 deaths) were in people 65 and over; 18.0 percent (109,068 deaths) were in the 45-64 age group; and 2.8 percent (17,178 deaths) were in people under age 45.
According to CDC, “The current 7-day moving average of daily new cases (66,606) increased 64.1% compared with the previous 7-day moving average (40,597).”
CDC also notes, the current 7-day moving average of 66,606 is 73.8 percent lower than the peak number of daily cases observed on January 10, 2021 (254,063) and is 480.1 percent higher than the lowest number of daily cases (11,483) observed on June 19, 2021. A total of 34,722,631 COVID-19 cases have been reported as of July 28.
Amid the Biden administration’s intensive push to vaccinate reluctant Americans, we hear a lot about the transmissibility of the delta variant.
“The emergence of the delta variant has led to a rapid acceleration of community transmission in the United States, putting more Americans at increased risk, especially if they are unvaccinated,” CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said in a statement this week.
Dr. Anthony Fauci told CNN on Tuesday, “We’re approaching 70,000 cases per day. It almost certainly is going to go over 100,000.” CDC officials and other medical personnel say more younger people are getting infected, although they are less likely to become seriously ill.
Children 12 and older are approved for vaccination, but children under 12 are not.
Dr. Francis Collins, the director of the National Institutes of Health, this week had to take back his advice for parents, even vaccinated parents, to wear masks in the home to protect their young children, who — again — are unlikely to get seriously ill.
Some state and local officials are seizing on the rising COVID caseload to resume mask mandates and even proof of vaccination requirements from citizens who thought — and were told by President Biden — that the worst of the pandemic was over.
“Today, all across this nation, we can say with confidence: America is coming back together,” Biden said in a July 4 speech at the White House: “Today, while the virus hasn’t been vanquished, we know this: It no longer controls our lives, it no longer paralyzes our nation and it’s within our power to make sure it never does so again.”
Biden recently said, “We have a pandemic because of the unvaccinated, and they’re sowing enormous confusion.”
“And the more we learn, the more we learn about this virus, and the delta variation, the more we have to be worried and concerned. And the only one thing we know for sure, if those other 100 million people got vaccinated, we’d be in a very different world. So, get vaccinated. If you haven’t, you’re not nearly as smart as I said you were.”